CALM Advisory Board Meeting February 21, 2017
Conny Bleul-Gohlke, , Jann Ronis, Pamela Waxman, Jeremy Cohen, Ben Swiggett, Kay van der Have, Scott Adams, Sandra Ramos, Kai Stoeckenius
- There has been an uptick in the number of members, due in large measure to the Sunday long course workouts.
- There were approximately 100 people at the last one. It is popular and a bit hectic.
- We need to develop a system for on deck sign-ins. Perhaps an extra person on deck to handle this? No resolution.
- We need to provide the new/visiting swimmers with some written information about CALM. Printed business cards with team information on it was suggested and approved.
- Work on the poster is moving forward
- Contact has been taken up with many groups and clubs, an incomplete list
includes: Tri-Club, PE, Temescal Masters, Albany Masters, El Cerrito Masters,
Swim Across America.
- Several of the organizations that promote swimming would welcome a
presentation by Scott that would explain the benefits that would accrue to their members by swimming with CALM. They, in turn, would welcome the opportunity to present to CALM members about their activities. Spencer needs to approve the reciprocal meetings before Scott can go forward.
- Scott is writing a piece for the newsletter that explains the importance of reaching out to other groups and individuals and encourages CALM swimmers to do so.
- It was repeated that in order to have and maintain contact with drop-in swimmers, we need their names & email addresses. How to encourage the coaches to collect this information was discussed.
- Ben proposed that we develop our own, accurate, list of all the people who swim with CALM. We could then offer to share the information with the RSF, thereby reversing the dynamic where we futilely seek this information from RSF. Rather than asking for something we would be in the position of offering something of significant value to UC. GREAT IDEA! Conny volunteered to bring this idea forward.
- Kai suggested Board members consider writing letters to the Waterlog to get the
letters-to-the-editor section rolling.
- There was a repeated request for an updated and accurate list of CALM members
for distributing the Waterlog. SOCIAL CHAIR:
- Jann reported that the brunch after the last long course work out was well attended and a success. He is planning another.
- The consensus of the Board was that we should not have a party directly after the meet; people are generally quite tired; instead Jann will plan a “spring” party, possibly to be held at the Sports Basement.
- Ben presented a list of completed and yet to complete items. major items that still need attention:
Timers – several teams have volunteered to each take timing responsibilities for a lane, for the length of the meet. CALM still needs to sign up timers.
Committee positions – still need to be filled
T-Shirts – Pamela will supply Spencer with all information he needs to order them, need to be ordered soon
- A general question of how to motivate people to volunteer, caps? Sandra will contact USMS for caps, all kinds of swag
- Jeremy has a singer for the national anthem.
- The possibility of having Cal swimmers swim during the break was discussed. It
was determined that because of their meet schedules they would not be available.
ITEM FOR NEXT MONTH
• Develop protocols for the long course workouts.
The next meeting will be held at Sports Basement March 22 at 6:30 pm. __________________________________