CALM Advisory Board Meeting 2017
Conny Bleul-Gohlke (Board Chair), Kate Coleman (Social), Jann Ronis (Social), Pamela Waxman (Meet Asst.), Jeremy Cohen (Meet Asst.), Kay van der Have (Secty.), Scott Adams (Membership), Steve Washburn (Member-at-large)
Board Member Changes:
• Patrick Murray resigned the post of Membership Chair.
The Board unanimously approved the following changes:
- Scott Adams as Chair of Membership
- Steve Washburn as Member at Large.
SWIM MEET REPORT:
- We have an approved meet sheet (the same as last year)
- We have a meet announcer, Dave Wersima
- We have a meet referee, John King
- Pamela offered to design the T-shirts; there will be limited
- We will try to get T-shirts in both men’s and women’s cuts.
- Pamela will set up the web page for volunteers
Things that need to be done:
- 15 days before the meet we need to send $150 to PMS for the
- We will reach out to the Cal computer person who helps with the meet
- We need to recruit heads for several of the work committees – among
- ⁃ Set-up
- ⁃ Clean-up
- ⁃ Publicity
- We all need to try and recruit sponsors for the meet. Sponsors will be
identified on the meet T-shirt
- There may be a possibility of having some Cal swimmers do
exhibition swims at the mid-meet break
- It was suggested to schedule the relay events so that swimmers would
not have to swim back to back events
Scott Adams, the new membership chair was brimming with ideas, suggestions and energy for ways to grow the membership, including:
- Coordinate with Cal Sports and Cal Rec Sports, triathlon, water polo for presentations alerting members of other groups as to our existence and how joining with us can improve their performance in all kinds of ways. Scott will write the presentations but feels it would be best if the person doing the presentation is of the same age group as the group receiving the presentation.
- Presentations at local sporting goods stores, clubs
- Show up to events with a table and information
- Identify metrics for capturing people that show up, so we can continue
to contact them
- Perhaps tweak the newsletter so it will be of interest to a larger
- Membership is up, from 110 to 175
• An after workout brunch is planned for Sunday January 22, after the long course workout. It will be at Café Durant. Jann will contact Café Durant
• An after meet party (not directly after the meet) is being planned
CALM GOALS FOR 2017:
• Greater participation in meets
• Greater participation in open water swims, including sending a
team to the Maui Channel Swim in Hawaii on September 2, 2017
• Increase promotion of the CALM team brand through team t-
shirts and other gear, banners and/or E-Z Up tent at meets, etc.
• Determine uses for our revenue (all meet revenue and drop-in
fees collected from visiting swimmers)
The next meeting is Thursday February 21 at 6:30 pm. Location to be determined.