CalM Board Meeting Minutes
4 June 2018, Blue Door Café
Attendees: Gaku, Kai, Kendall, Sandra, Conny and Steve
Overview from Coach
- Overall, first couple of week proceeded well although some things to work through
- Good energy, positive reaction from team members
- Concerns/issues to work on
- Lack of lifeguards has been a problem; recognition that this is related in part to end of Cal academic year but hoping it can be resolved soon
- Gaku does not yet have key access to Golden Bear, which has resulted in delay in 6am workouts especially when lifeguard is late or does not show
- Lack of equipment at Spieker (fins, paddles, kickboards)
- Need a new, larger whiteboard and markers at Spieker
- Cal staff training requirements for Gaku (e.g., harassment prevention) taking considerable time
- No parking permit for Gaku means sacrificing office hours (since he has to move car during office hours to avoid ticket); Kendall suggested that he consider holding office hours at Golden Bear since parking is readily available
Overview from Board Members
- Very positive feedback thus far on Gaku as new coach, with a few areas for follow-up
- Good workouts – Gaku has increased the yardage!
- Sometimes assistant coaches and/or swimmers have difficulty interpreting what is written on the whiteboard; suggestion made to establish and use standard abbreviations.
- Need clarification on how/when workouts start, i.e., traditionally the first 10 minutes were reserved for open warm-up, but now lanes should follow the warm-up protocol on the white board for the first 10-15 min. (usually 400 choice, 2-4 100 IM, 2-4 50 choice)
- Recommend we keep with CalM tradition of pause for brief announcements 10-15 minutes after start of workout (i.e., after warm-up period).
- Suggestion made that Gaku can be more pro-active in offering stroke technique advice–i.e. don’t necessarily wait to be asked.
- Need clarification about the Lead Assistant Coach position that was to be offered to Tryn Kaleel; what is the status on this?
- Need clarification about other assistant coaches – will there be adequate coverage over summer when Gaku has other commitments?
- Poor water quality/rodents at Golden Bear
- CalM Board governance/elections this year
- Can we offer incentives (e.g., Rec memberships) for service on the Board?
- Jann Ronis (Social Director) will be moving to Boston at the end of June – will need to replace
- Team roster seems to be decent size but we will look for ways to attract new team members
- CalM website has been updated and comes up as a top response on search engines
- Spencer/Steve/Gaku to follow-up on list of issues identified by Gaku (see above)
- Steve to follow-up with Spencer about status of lead assistant coach (Tryn) agreement
- Steve to follow-up with Spencer about water quality/rodent issues at Golden Bear
- Kai/Kendall to search for new Social Director
- Steve to contact Jann regarding going-away for Jann/welcome for Gaku social gathering in late June (perhaps at Triple Rock Brewery/Restaurant)
- Steve and Conny to propose timing/process for Board elections (goal for this fall)
- Steve to draft email to team with update based on Board meeting