Table of Contents
1. From the editor
2. Erratum and apology
3. CALM Advisory Board Meeting notes 4. And in other news…
5. Letters to the editor
1. From the editor:
We’re deep into the Holiday season (our annual party is already in the books —see the summary and pictures below) and swimming is perhaps not quite at the top of our minds and agendas this time of year. Still, I see a good number of you are braving the cooler temperatures to work off some Holiday stress in the blessedly warm water. Good on you! There are still a few off-season events to prepare for and do (e.g. the “super-fun” MEMO 400 kick for time postal) and you don’t want to be starting the spring quite so much lighter on conditioning and—ahem—heavier in other ways.
Before our next issue, 2016 will for better or worse (your choice—I know mine) be a thing of the past, so I will take this opportunity to wish you all,
my teammates the happiest of your choice of holiday and a good start to the new year. Keep CALM, and keep keeping on.
2. ERRATUM and apology: Last month’s issue included a profile of CALM stalwart Jeremy Cohen, penned by none other than our former editor and biographer Kate Coleman. Although most of you likely recognized her familiar style, the article did not carry her by-line. We regret the omission and apologize to Kate.
Mr. Cohen has also indicated some errors of fact in the profile: he joined the team (then SCAM) in 1980, not 1971; the number of high school swim meets he competed in was less than the 48 stated in the article, and he played in the UC Berkeley orchestra, not at the University of Michigan.
3. CALM Advisory Board Meeting notes
[the December CALM Advisory Board Meeting was canceled] __________________________________
5. And in other news…
• The annual CALM HOLIDAY PARTY on Saturday, Dec. 3 was a resounding success! Over 80 of us celebrated the season and each other at Coach Kendall’s house where he and spouse Cindy
were—as usual—THE BEST HOSTS EVER! The gift exchange was, once again the highlight of the evening (although viewing the “super moon” through telescopic equipment courtesy of our team astronomer, the aptly named Adrienne Cool, was surely a close second). CALM does know how to party! For the unfortunate few who missed the event, here’s a few pictures. You can also view these and more at the following the link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ 92839017@N00/albums/72157675731332772
(Clockwise from left: Hosts Kendall and Cindy pause for a photo-op; Leo Lozano checks out the “super moon”; the gift-exchange gets hilarious; a happy Holiday crew. All photos by John Penberthy)
• Last month we reported on three CALM swimmers who completed the brutish Brute Squad swim (swim a 200 fly, 400 IM and 1650 free back to back without stopping): Pamela Waxman, Angela Andelson and Ryan Monaghan. Since then some more CALM swimmers have taken up the challenge, including Gunther Weber, Tanyoung Kim, Timothy Sundrip, and John Grisafi. Congrats, guys!
• In case you didn’t catch Coach Tiffany’s latest update, here’s a few highlights on things to look for in January:
⁃ Looking forward to 2017, there are some new things on the horizon for CALM. Tuesday and Thursday workouts will be changing, both AM and PM, effective the week of January 2. The morning workouts will change to 6:00-7:15am, and 7:15-8:30am, giving us two 1.25 hour workouts. The evening workouts will change to 6:00-7:30pm. We’ve been here once before, so I’m a little hesitant that this will truly take effect the week of January 2. So, stay tuned for final confirmation later this month.
- ⁃ Also, in 2017, you will see regularly scheduled TEST SETS throughout the year. Typically, we will cycle through one test set each month, and rotate quarterly a test set each for Distance, Anaerobic Threshold, Lactate Threshold, and KICK. It will be a nice way for you to gauge your training progress throughout the year.
- ⁃ And, for the month of January, we want to present a challenge to each
interval… Who can generate the highest yardage total (can only happen through frequent attendance!) for each interval?…we will plan to start this January 2. There will be a nominal prize for each interval winner at the
end of the month.
- Remember it is time to renew your USMS membership. Do so before December 31and receive sponsor discounts for swim gear of up to 30%. Click this link to sign up or renew: http://www.usms.org/reg/
- 6. Letters to the editor(Despite repeated pleading, we have yet to receive even a single missive addressed to “Dear Waterlog—“. Come on CALMers! Don’t be
Send us some letters!)
[e-mail letters with subject line “Dear Waterlog” to email@example.com; please specify if you want your letter to appear signed or anonymously]